You may have noticed that you didn’t get a sweet recipe last week. I wouldn’t say I had a baking failure, exactly, but they weren’t blog-worthy. Thus the macaroni and cheese and challah. So this week, I went with a classic – something I knew would be delicious and impressive, but also something I’ve made a few times with success. You know, to get my confidence back. And I happened to have some cream cheese kicking around, so here we are.
These are a combination of a couple different recipes. A nice easy one-bowl brownie recipe topped with a really basic cheesecake mixture, swirled together and baked for just over half an hour. Easy. So what are you waiting for?
The recipe you see here is for a big (9×13-inch) tray of brownies. You could quite easily half everything and make a smaller batch – they’d be a bit thinner in an 8×8 or 9×9 pan, but they’d still be great. Or you can just make lots, which is always my route.
450 grams (16 ounces) bittersweet chocolate
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
450 grams (16 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
2 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius (350 Fahrenheit). Butter a 9×13-inch baking pan, line the bottom with baking parchment, and butter the parchment.
2. Melt butter and chocolate in a double-boiler over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until just melted. I always do this in my mixing bowl over a pan of water to save on dishes. Let the mixture cool briefly, then stir in sugar, eggs, vanilla, and salt until well combined.
3. Stir in flour until just combined. Spread brownie batter in the baking pan.
4. Beat cream cheese until there are no lumps. Add egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla and beat again until smooth.
5. Drop the cheesecake batter over the brownie layer in many dollops. Swirl the cheesecake and brownie batters together with a butter knife until well-marbled.
6. Bake the brownies until just set in the middle, puffed, and slightly golden – about 35 minutes. Let cool completely and serve cold.